Sunday, April 11, 2010

Bandwagon

I give you: my Bandwagon Shawl


So named because it seems like everybody is knitting or designing triangular shawls in garter stitch with a lace border. I loves me some garter stitch, so that was a bandwagon I was happy to jump on. It's knit up with Shelby B's Designs sock yarn (100g), and the colorway is Bloody Baron. I got it at Maryland Sheep and Wool last year.


Here is what I did:
Gauge is not important. I used one skein of sock yarn and a size 6 needle (29" circular), but it could be done with any yarn and needles. It is knit starting from the top center.

Cast on 5 sts and knit in garter for half the skein as follows:

Row 1: k2, yo, pm, k1, yo, k2
Row 2: knit
Row 3: k2, yo, knit to marker, yo, slip marker, k1, yo, knit to last 2 sts, yo, k2
Row 4: knit

Repeat rows 3 &4 until you're about halfway through your yarn (I used a food scale to weigh the skein), ending with row 4.

Then I used this two row repeat for the lacy bit:

Row 1: k2, yo, *(k2tog, yo), repeat from * to 1 st before marker, k1, yo, k1, yo, k1, **(yo, k2tog), repeat from ** to last 2 sts, yo, k2.
Row 2: knit

Repeat those 2 rows until you're nearly out of yarn, or it's as big as you want it. I bound off with a size 8 DPN, using this method:

K2. Slip these 2 sts back to the left needle purlwise and knit them together tbl. *K1, slip both sts back to left needle purlwise and knit them together tbl. Repeat from * to end. Break yarn, pull through last st.

ETA: Weave in ends and block.

1 comment:

Jenna said...

With a desperate need so something to keep my hands busy while I work on something in the back of my brain - this is perfect! I have just the right sock yarn for this. Now I just have to either get it done before the trip or hope I can take me needles on the plane. Thanks so much for putting this up.